Chile Pinto Bean Dip - Serves 6
- 1 can (15 ounces) Lakay brand pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling (optional)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2-teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2-teaspoon paprika, plus more for garnish
- 1/8-teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Flatbread crackers, for serving
- In a food processor, combine beans, vinegar, oil, garlic, coriander, paprika, cayenne, and 2 tablespoons water.
- Process until very smooth, about 1 minute, scraping down bowl as needed. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl, and garnish with paprika and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.
Tomato Soup with Coconut Milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, olive oil, or coconut oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1-teaspoon fine grain sea salt, plus more to taste
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1-teaspoon ground coriander
- 1-teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2-teaspoon Chile flakes
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes (pref. fire-roasted)
- 1 can (14-ounces) Lakay brand coconut milk
- In a large pot over medium heat melt the butter. Add the onions and salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften up - 10 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder, coriander, cumin, and Chile flakes, and cook just until the spices are fragrant and toasty - stirring constantly.
- Stir in the tomatoes, the juices from the cans, and 6 cups / 1.5 L of water.
- Simmer for fifteen minutes or so, then puree with a hand blender until smooth. Add water for a thinner version or coconut milk for a creamier version. Taste and adjust with more salt to taste.
Can be served over a scoop of rice with a squeeze of lemon, or toasted almonds, and a mixture of fresh herbs.
Shrimp Mango and Jicama Salad - Serves 6
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice concentrate
- 1/4-cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup Lakay brand fresh lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2 large mangoes, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled jicama
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 large Boston lettuce leaves
Preparation: 50 minutes
- Whisk lime juice and pineapple juice concentrate in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring 6 cups water and next 4 ingredients to boil in heavy large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add shrimp, and simmer until opaque in center, about 2 minutes. Drain. Transfer shrimp to large bowl; refrigerate until cool. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; keep chilled.)
- Mix mangoes and next 3 ingredients into shrimp. Pour vinaigrette over; toss to coat. Place 1 lettuce leaf on each of 6 plates. Spoon salad over lettuce, dividing equally.